Tuesday, May 1, 2012

It's been a LONG time!

It's been forever since i've posted!  I thought i'd take the opportunity to introduce my new little guy.  We are now a family of 4!  On January 24th, 2012, Izak Orion Hawkins was born!
I love this little guy!  And we are so happily surprised that he does not resemble Ricky like Tristan does.  He has RED hair! And his eyes still have yet to decide their color, but they may be multi-colored like Ricky's.  My pregnancy with him was very similar, except he was bigger so I was more uncomfortable near the end, and he added some more stretch marks.

I was nervous about a quick labor.  For good reason.  I had my first contraction at 8:30pm while hanging out with my wonderful hubby (one week early).  My contractions started at 2 min apart (same as with Tristan).  We asked Nick Walker to come over until my mom could get there since we knew we should head out asap (Tristan was a quick labor until pushing).  He said he was only here for 10 min before my mom got here.  I wasn't in pain when we left, but I was in heavier labor by the time we got to the hospital.  They had lost my registration, so they made me fill that out while I was contracting every minute.  They didn't make me get checked in the "oasis" triage room since I had a history of a quick labor.  I got to my room for 30 min of monitoring, and they told me they might send me home since I was only 3 cm (which is what I had been the day before).  My Dr. had given me strict orders to just walk the lobby for an hour if they tried sending me home. Luckily, the doctor arrived at the end of my 30 min monitoring (I didn't get my own Dr), and I was 7 cm dilated, and heavy contractions that were 1 min apart and lasted 45 seconds.  This was really painful.  She said they could break my water and I could go walk the halls for an hour, but I knew I didn't need any help speeding things up, and I never got to use the hot tub with Tristan since I had been fully dilated before I got to my room, so I asked if I could go in the tub.  I got in for about 10 min (I didn't like it that much) until I felt I needed to push.  Again, the nurses didn't believe me, but I got out and was fully dilated, and my water broke just as they were going to do it for me.

Then things went very, very fast.  I started pushing (Izak had turned to face the wrong way) so the doctor had to "manually" keep him in place the entire time I pushed.  It wasn't very long, though.  I started pushing and after only a few minutes Izak's heart completely stopped.  Everything was a blur to me, but it was more real for Ricky.  Over 15 doctors came into the room, and they picked me up and changed my position, turned on the lights, and gave me oxygen. Izak was far enough down that pushing him out was faster than a C-section, otherwise I usually would have had a C-section.  I'm also allergic to general anesthesia (and my babies), so that creates more of a deterrant.  The doctor used the vacuum, and we got him out in one push.  (Later the dr said that once she announced we needed him out, she didn't even need the vacuum.  I got him out). Ricky said I screamed really loud (I had a natural labor), and Izak came out with the cord behind his neck, and I had had a placental abruption. Ricky thought he was dead when he came out :-(. They cut his cord (Ricky didn't get to).

But by God's grace, Izak started crying before they even handed him off. AND right away he pinkened up and got a 9 APGAR score (which is high), and they handed him to me :-)  Another God's grace was that I didn't tear at all.  Izak had a bit of jaundice, but I breastfed him every 2 hours and he never had to go on formula.

Izak was born at 11:27 pm, a slightly less than 3 hour labor.  The Walkers were surprised to find that they had just been at my place to watch Tristan, and Izak was born before they went to bed.

Having children has been the biggest blessing from the Lord for Ricky and I.  If we had lived in a different time, neither me or either of my boys would have lived through delivery. It is also a miracle I didn't get a C-section for either one. Usually in both situations I would have, but God protected me, especially with our allergy to anesthetics.

Izak is a wonderful little guy!!!  He has SO much personality!  He is 3 months old now, and is wearing 6 month clothes.  He is a BIG guy!

Tristan LOVES his little brother.  The people at the gym tell me that he always gives his brother kisses.  We are also working on being gentle......

I love both my boys :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment